Monday, March 28, 2011

Reflection Journal...

When I first started working as an instructional coach, there wasn't a blueprint for how to do the job.  It was fairly new in education, to work with instructional coaches, so I really didn't know what I was getting into.  My first couple of years was the definition of on-the-job training.  One of the best things I did was start a reflection journal...

It's a simple spiral notebook.  Inside I have collected articles, quotes, notes from workshops & conferences and my thinking.  It's sort of become my text book for Instructional Coaching and I read through it frequently.  I have gotten into the habit of putting new entries on the left side and writing the reasons I included on the right.  When I reread the journal, I often add thoughts and ideas that are newly relevant.  In this way I have also reflected on and learned from my coaching experiences.  One of the best things I have included are articles that I don't agree with.  It's been valuable to record my thoughts about why I don't agree with something and then read that thinking later.  My professional reflection journal has had a tremendous impact on my work as an Instructional Coach so...

... I recently decided to start a personal reflection journal.  I decided that it would work better to use a 3-ring binder, so I found one that was pretty and added a quote to the front in vinyl.
I also put labeled dividers into the notebook.  My categories are: Inspiration, Ideas, Family, Triathlon, and Journal.  I had lots of things that fit into these categories already strewn through my desk.  Now they are all in one place, and I can reflect on what's there, set new goals and continue to add things that are important.   Just like my professional journal, I am anticipating watching my thinking change and evolve over time.
I think it's so important to remember where we've come from and enjoy the journey to where we find ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I love the quotes on both journals :) I appreciate the idea of including things you disagree with and your reasoning. What a great way to watch the evolution of who you are, what you believe, and experiences/reflections of what you have endured. You are so inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
    -Krista

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!