Friday, March 25, 2011

Book Club Friday...

I read a really good book this past week, and I've been looking forward to sharing it with you...

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Why did you pick up this book?  A Facebook friend suggested the title, saying that she couldn't put it down.  I'd seen it on a couple of book lists and had already been considering it, so with her recommendation I read it.

What kept you reading?  I enjoyed the voice of the storytellers.  The story is about three adult sisters who, for a variety of reasons, have returned home.  The story is told in plural first person, as though all three sisters are telling the story.  It's an intriguing way to tell a story and I don't remember having read anything like it.  I was completely pulled into the story of these sisters as they uncovered why they were home, how their relationships worked {or didn't} and the way they dealt with their mother's cancer treatment.  There were also some great lines..."We were fairly certain that if anyone made public the various and variegated ways in which being an adult sucked eggs, more people would opt out entirely."    "Because despite his money and his looks and all the good-on-paper attributes he possessed, he was not a ready, and, well, let's just say that is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put"     "We have always wondered why there is not more research done on the children of happy marriages...How can we ever hope to find a love to live up to that?"

What stayed with you?  I have always been curious about the realtionships between adult siblings.  The sisters stuck with me because they weren't perfect, in fact they were very human.  Their past was very much a part of their present, and in some ways they were stuck because of that.  Once each sister realized her potential, separate from the other two, she was able to move forward into something new.  It was interesting to read and very well written.

What's next?  As I was closing out this book, a new book popped up on my Kindle's home screen.  I preordered, The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen  quite a while ago and I get to start reading it tonight!  I loved the author's previous books and I am imagining a delightful read.  Of course, I will share it with you all next week.

Your turn...what are you reading?  Have you read any of the Book Club books?  I love to hear about all the good reads out there...leave a comment and share.  Have a fantastic weekend!


0 favorite readers have commented...:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!