Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Club...

I have had a really busy couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been reading up a storm also.  Reading is my escape and my relaxation...so when the days get long and busy, I am often burning the candle at both ends as I read {like a deep, relaxing breath of fresh air} long into the night.  I have a couple of great books to share...


Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult...I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan and this book did not disappoint.  It's told in several voices which is a story telling style I really enjoy.  It gives such a deeper perspective when you hear parts of the story in the characters voice.  As with many of her books, there is an ethical issue central to the theme and I was hooked into this one.  Spoiler Alert... this story dealt with gay marriage & relationships, religious conviction & religious bullying and frozen embryos.  Wow!  I loved every minute of this story and often wondered where it was going to end.  The only disappointment for me was that the author incorporated music into each chapter...since I was reading it on my Kindle, I didn't have access to the music.  This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read on my Kindle and, frankly, I am pretty sure I want to have the actual book on my living room bookshelf.  So, I'll get the CD when I buy the hardcover book.  I would love to hear from any of you who read this book...there are a few points that would be interesting to discuss!

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom...I found this book wandering through book lists on Amazon and it really surprised me.  The story is set in the late 1700's on a plantation.  Two voices tell the story, Belle - a slave who is the daughter of the white plantation owner, and Lavinia - a young white indentured servant who is given to Belle.  The author takes a reader through the lives of the owners and slaves over about twenty years.  Not always easy to read, the story is compelling.  I have always been intrigued by books that open a window into another life and this one does that so well.  The characters had amazing depth and I was drawn to their stories and their lives. 
I would love to hear about what you're reading, especially if you've enjoyed one of these two books.  Join me...leave a comment and share what's on your bookshelf!

Have a great weekend...Happy Reading!


1 comment:

  1. Now you've got me wantingto read BOTH of those!

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!