Thursday, December 2, 2010

Winter Reading...


Winter is one of my favorite times to curl up with a good book!  Ok, who am I kidding, it's just my current favorite time to curl up with a good book...I love all seasons really...

I recently finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett and I have to say I was a little disappointed.
Why did I pick it up?  I was looking forward to settling in with a great epic novel.  I've read Folletts books Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and they were tremendous!  I was hoping for that ability to sink into an amazing story with this book.

Why did I keep reading?  It was a good story.  The setting is just prior to, and during, World War 1 and as far as historical fiction goes this was pretty interesting.  I learned a lot about the political posturing from different countries leading up to the war and some of the ridiculous moves made by military leaders during the war.  It was interesting but it really wasn't riveting...which was what I wanted.

What stuck with me?  I was kind of glad when I finished to be honest.  The author intends for this to be a trilogy and I am not sure I will bother with the next three.

What's coming up for the Book Club?
  • I am currently reading I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg and so far this is a captivating and intriguing book.  The character development is rich...I am only 29% into the book and I deeply care about what happens to these people.  The author is also pretty talented with foreshadowing and I am so curious about how this story will play out.  You can read along and share your thoughts about the book over the next couple of weeks.
  • Next week I will publish my Top Ten list of books read in 2010 and I would love to hear about your favorites.  Start getting your list together and link it up next week!  
Happy Reading

1 comment:

  1. I just finished Chasing Harry Winston: A Novel- LOVED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!