Sunday, September 19, 2010

Book Club...

PhotobucketThere are so many great books out there, that I decided not to limit sharing them to once a month.  The  Chase-ing the Dream Book Club, is going to become a weekly (usually) event.  Want to get involved? You don't have to read the same book, although we'll have more interesting conversations if the books have something in common.  No pressure though, this is about reading and sharing good books.  


 
What's it about?  The trilogy is set in post-apocolyptic North America.  In this world, reality television is used to keep the Districts subservient to the Capitol through the yearly Hunger Games.  Think of Survivor played to the death...by kids.  The books are really one continuous story and chronicle the heroic journey Katniss EverdeenI won't say much more because I don't want to spoil this for anyone.  

Why did I choose it?  I had heard a lot of buzz around the books, especially with the recent release of Mockingjay - the third in the trilogy.  I also believe that young adult literature is an important genre and I like to read what kids are reading.  After I read the first book I was hooked!  I thought they were very well written...timely, engaging and a bit disturbing.  It would be interesting to talk with younger readers to hear about their perspective of this book.  Though I wouldn't worry about my oldest reading this, I would encourage parents to read these before or with their kids.  There is a lot to talk about in these books.

What stuck with me?  At the end of the day, I love a good hero story.  It's one of my favorite themes and this series didn't disappoint!  The line that resonated with me, days after I finished the books, "You love me.  Real or not real?"   This is a real heroine...grimy, unsure, sometimes selfish, awkward and honest.  Here is a girl we can admire and a powerful story of courage.


What am I reading next?  Next week, I'll be sharing my thoughts on Cheap Cabernet by Cathie Beck.  Read along with me if you're interested. 







You can participate in the Book Club by linking up your blog post, sharing what you've read.  You can also share by leaving a comment.  Happy Reading!


1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea!! I can't wait to hear about your next book, Cheap Cabernet! I love the title!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!