Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cupcake Experiments...

I have decided that I need a signature dish...something I am known for.  So, I decided that this summer I am going to perfect a cupcake recipe and become known for my cupcakes!  My husband and children are delighted to help taste the samples along the way, of course.  Here goes the experiment...

I was originally inspired by Teresa over at Blooming on Bainbridge who made cupcakes for a carnival in May.  She, in turn, got her recipe from Tidy Mom...the perfect cupcake using a cake mix!  Armed with the "perfect cupcake" recipe, I got to work.
The actual cake recipe was a way to enhance a cake mix.  The batter was much thicker than cake mix batter and was very chocolately.  My first mistake with this batch of cupakes was over filling the cups...
Sadly, these cupcakes won't be very pretty!  Fortunately I had enough batter to make six more cupcakes, and those turned out perfectly shaped.

While the cupcakes cooled, it was time to make the Buttercream Frosting.  I used the recipe found with Tidy Mom's Perfect Cupcakes

I am going to need to practice my photography as well...this photo doesn't do the Buttercream Frosting justice.  It was fluffy and so delicious! 

I love the way professional cupcakes are frosted, using a cake decorating tip and creating a yummy swirl of frosting on the top...so I also invested in some new tips and bags so that my cupcakes look as good as they taste. 

Cupcake Trial #1...Chocolate with Buttercream Frosting

Then it was time for the taste tests...



We devised a scoring guide to evaluate Presentation, Cake Taste and Frosting...


Presentation = 7 stars....Cake = 12 stars...Frosting = 16 stars!   Not too bad for a first run! On the subject of frosting the taste testers actually requested that I don't try any other recipes...this one is perfect!



0 favorite readers have commented...:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!