Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Club Friday...

Happy Friday everyone!  It's been a while since we've had a Book Club Friday!  It's good to be back, regularly posting and blogging.  I'm excited to hear about what you've been reading and what you're looking forward to reading.  If you're new to the Book Club...this is the most low-key Book Club you'll ever join.  I'll share what I've been reading and what I am looking forward to reading...you join in the comments.  Have you read the same book?  Are you reading something different you'd like to share?  It's all about sharing a love of reading!

Do you remember in high school, reading the book and then watching the movie?  Well, I have been waiting to see the production of Wicked for about 5 years!  Last weekend was the big day...this show is amazing.  If you get the chance, see it!  I was blown away...the music is phenomenal, the stage & costumes are wonderful and the story is captivating. 

I've told people that Wicked is, to me, much like Harry Potter.  A fabulous book and a fabulous show that have characters & settings in common.  The production of Wicked does not begin to take in the breadth of the book...but it tells a perfect story for that context.

Ok...it is the Book Club after all!  Prior to the show I decided to start re-reading the book.  I have read all three books in the trilogy by Gregory Maguire...Wicked, Son of a Witch and  A Lion Among Men.

BookWicked by Gregory Maguire

Why Did You Pick it Up?  As mentioned, I wanted to reread the book before I saw the show.  As it turned out, I had a very busy week and didn't finish the book.  Actually, I'm still enjoying it today.

Why Did You Keep Reading?  When I read A Lion Among Men, it had been a couple years since I had initially read Wicked.  There were many references that I didn't remember and I had a hard time really recalling the story line.  This time through Wicked, I have the background of the whole trilogy {and the lovely memory of the show!}  It's made the book much more vivid.  There are references and foreshadowing I am noticing that I hadn't recognized before and the symbolism & metaphor of the basic story line are much easier to pick up and understand.  (love that runon sentence!)  The book is so peculiar, it's interesting.  I am completely engrossed in the story.

What Are You Taking Away From the Book?  I am fascinated by the development of the characters.  A couple of the highlights I made:
 " 'I don't read very well.  So I don't think very well either.'  Glinda smiled. 'I dress to kill though' " 

 " 'Look, the poor - I mean are they the poor? The hungry of Oz? From the failed farms? Or is it just the - the surplus? The expendable human selvage?' " 

There is so much going on in this story...so much to think about and hold my own ideas up against.  It's a challenging book ethically, morally, politically...it's fascinating!

I hope your week was a good one and that your weekend will bring you adventure and joy?
See you next week!

0 favorite readers have commented...:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!