Friday, April 15, 2011

Book Club Friday...

I hope you've all had a fantastic week!  Mine has been excellent...this week I celebrated my oldest son's 12th birthday, and my own birthday too.  We share the day, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I've been a bit spoiled this year, and have been enjoying reading on my new Kindle the past couple of days! 

The book I have to share this week is so much fun...

The Secret Lives of Dresses by Eric McKean

Why did you pick it up?  Actually, I was wandering through a book store with my mom and she picked it up first.  I was in the middle of a book that wasn't really captivating and this one sounded more interesting.

What kept you reading?  I immediately cared about the characters.  Dora is called back to her home town following her Grandmother's stroke.  The whole book takes place within just a few weeks time.  Dora has never really examined who she is and who she wants to be.  Her grandmother's hospitalization, provides that motivation.  Dora's grandmother owns "Mimi's", a vintage clothing store.  One afternoon a customer prompts Dora to look for a "secret life" and Dora discovers a collection of short stories, all focusing on the secret lives of individual dresses.  It is through these secret lives, that Dora discovers her real one.

What stuck with you?  I loved reading about the relationship between Dora and her grandmother.  Though my relationship with my Gram is much different than Dora's, it is equally strong and motivating.  The thought of being so intentional about what you wear, how it is a window into who you are, is an interesting idea also and something I have pondered in the last couple of days since I finished the book.  Finally, I was intrigued by the coming of age story of Dora...it was a bit predictable in terms of story line, but touching and I truly enjoyed reading her story.

What are you reading?  I would love to hear. 
Let me know if you decide to pick up "The Secret Lives of Dresses" and what you think!

0 favorite readers have commented...:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers...please leave a comment!